Jennifer K's Reviews > Howards End

Howards End by E.M. Forster

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: timeless-books, dust-off-the-bookshelf-and-read, classic-english-literature
Recommended to Jennifer by: My mother gave it to me as a birthday gift
Recommended for: Fans of English literature, social change, post Victorian England
Read from November 17 to 18, 1989 — I own a copy, read count: 2+

Howards End by E.M. Forster

This book was an insightful look at the changing values, mores and norms of post-Victorian England. The fact that a dying woman was denied her final wishes speaks to a different generation's value of their elders, and when a materialist marries an idealist, it just another example of the change in social norms in the English society, and all of this comes to a head at Howard's End. Even the title suggests an end to Victorian England, and emphasizes the changes the society is undergoing at the time.

It is an interesting read especially if you are interested in social issues, and the societies we construct. Then the book makes it apparent that social structures and constructs people create and value above all else can come crumbling down when the generations change and take power for themselves. A good book for Sociologists :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howards End.