Brie's Reviews > Mortal Defiance

Mortal Defiance by Nichole Chase

Mar 02, 12

Read from February 23 to March 02, 2012

19%
Ok I've changed my mind about the love triangle since the last book. This isn't a good one it's all about Paden and Roland's just going to be hurt in the end.
Spoilers included.
I'm pretty pissed off to be perfectly honest.
I don't know what it was that made me love the first one so much anymore but it's definitely gone now. Maybe I should have reread the first one to establish the old feelings I had for the characters because in this one I didn't really care what happened to them.( Except Weylin. I've always had a thing for the funny one.) I'm not even sure why Bryce and Jules are in this book. And by the way if gods don't like their immortals to be together shouldn't they be pissed at these two? Maybe if that was added to the story they'd be interesting characters instead of fillers to make it seem like Ree has more friends.
Speaking of Ree... She is the slowest heroine. Ever. Want examples?
1) Obviously Tristan has an edge because he's from the same blood line. Fricken duh.
2)Sophie was trying to tell you Paden is your soul mate. Not Roland. He was lied to for some future purpose. Not that big of a jump.
3)When the two boys who want you have a wager and one of them comes back looking disappointed and the other looks smug..it means he won and it's about you. (By the way we weren't told what he won. Rip off.)
Problems with the book as a whole?
1) Too many loose ends. I know theres another one coming out but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be tied up in that one either.
a) There's cliff hangers and then there's practically stopping a book mid sentence. I'm not freaking out cause I want the next one I'm pissed because the last few chapters prob should have been the beginning of the next book.
2) When your in the middle of a fight scene with the big evil bad guys they aren't going to stop and wait for you to have stupid conversations before attacking.
3) The love triangle. What's the point of hurting Roland over stupid Ree when he's just going to end up with Melanie. What? Are Rolands feelings for Ree just gonna go away after he finds out they aren't soul mates?
4) What the hell is going on with Shannon and Michael they are so pointless but the book makes them seem important. I don't get it.
5)The only interesting part was the ending chapters and even through those I could put the book down mid chapter and not even care. The beginning wasn't even build up it was just pointless filler chapters. I can't even remember how many times Ree would say Sophie has some 'splainin to do and then just drop what ever she was gonna ask.

Idk I guess I'm just really disappointed especially because I loved the first one so much for reasons in can't remember anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Defiance.