Jennifer K's Reviews > A Room with a View

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: dust-off-the-bookshelf-and-read, my-escape-into-an-alternate-world, timeless-books
Recommended to Jennifer by: I found it on my own
Recommended for: Everyone who enjoys a good love story
Read on November 29, 1989 — I own a copy, read count: 10+

I loved the story line of this book. A young English girl meets her soul mate in Florence, Italy. The only problem is that she has a another suitor back in England. The two suitors could not e more different from one another. George, the young man from Florence, is passionate, pensive, introspective, and he loves life. Cecil, the English suitor, on the other hand, is only interested in marrying Lucy Honeychurch because of her station in the English hierarchy.He does not really love her the way George does. He views her as an object to be collected rather than a life partner. Cecil and his mother are even planning their unborn children's educations. For crying out loud, they haven't even been born yet.

Everything starts to unravel when George and his father move to a cottage in Somerset near to where Lucy lives. Even worse, Lucy's brother is intent on befriending George which means George is around a lot. Lucy finds herself torn between the two men, although to me the choice is obvious. Cecil is a man of "books." George is a man who lives quite passionately, and to the fullest extent possible. Cecil is uptight, Lucy is not in the least uptight, and the thought of Cecil even being capable of producing children seems laughable. He is that uptight. George, on the other hand, is a passionate, fiery, thinking, introspective man who goes out and lives life. Cecil is an "indoor" kind of guy. Needless to say, Lucy's feelings become quite muddled about the two of them. And, I cannot write any more as it would spoil the story.

I highly recommend this book and/or the movie (which almost follows the story line for line the way it was written) when you are feeling low. It is a charming and uplifting story of hope and love and laughter and family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.