Bonnie Brody's Reviews > In-Flight Entertainment

In-Flight Entertainment by Helen Simpson

Feb 23, 12

Read from February 22 to 23, 2012

In-Flight Entertainment: Stories is a bland book of stories that contains characters that are uninteresting and far from the reader's concern. The contents are made up of stories that read more like reports of small episodes or incidents in a person's daily life and have no drama that might spark the heart to beat faster. In one story a man's lover is more interested in the environment than she is in him. In another, a man loses his hearing and begins to experience internal sounds and perhaps even auditory hallucinations. These sounds tell him about his failure as a father. In yet another story, a man catches a squirrel and tries to decide whether to kill it or not while his wife reflects on the affair she's having, hoping her husband does not know about it.

I am a lover of short stories, cherishing Alice Munro and many contemporary short story writers. Ms. Simpson's stories just don't hold up to these and I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed in this collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In-Flight Entertainment.