Jim's Reviews > The Difference Engine

1219700
Feb 16, 14

bookshelves: sci-fi-geek, steampunque, read-on-my-phone
Read from January 26 to February 06, 2011

Sometimes it *really* pays to re-read a book.

I wasn't very impressed when I first read this book. My favorite character at the time vanished with about forty pages left, and I didn't find the end compelling.

I can't remember when I first read the book, but it was years ago. Now that I'm older and have both read more and experienced more, I feel I got a lot more out of the book. I actually found Laurence Oliphant's struggle with his beliefs more compelling than Edward Mallory's accidental heroics. (Although, I have to admit, the moment when a paleontologist became an action hero was quite memorable.) I also didn't understand the significance of the curious MacGuffin "The Modus". Had I realized it before, I probably would have been more impressed.

When I first read the book, I found the ending confusing and unsatisfying. Now, the fact that the end is (minor spoiler) open-ended and leaves a lot open to interpretation just means that you'll spend more time thinking about the book after it's over.

All in all, this is definitely a classic of steampunk, and it definitely deserved its Hugo award nomination. This book has an amazingly detailed alternate-history London with cameos from a number of historical characters, an underground society of "clackers" (steampunk punch-card hackers!), and an eye-opening look at what might have happened if the Information Age started under Queen Victoria.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Difference Engine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Babcock Correction: this novel did not win the Hugo award.

I am the younger, less-impressed version of you for my first reading, it appears. Maybe I will get more out of it on a second reading. I really liked the ending vision as well, but I only think the book didn't deserve to tack it on without any elaboration. I don't mind when books leave me with open-ended conclusions that require careful consideration, but they have to earn that.