Melissa's Reviews > Breaking Twig

Breaking Twig by Deborah Epperson

5619527
Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: controversial-plot-points, grab-a-tissue, heart-wrenching, up-all-night-reading, deep-moving, favorites
Read on February 22, 2012

You know I like authors that have guts and take chances and put themselves out there for the whole world to criticize. Deborah Epperson set herself up to be completely ripped to shreds with some of the plot points in this novel and because of that I stinking LOVE her guts.

I fully realize this book isn't going to resonate the same way with every reader. I understand the desire that might prompt someone to give this book a lesser rating or poor review, but honestly it could totally happen. Just because you might not like it or want to believe it or because its not perfectly wrapped-up in a Cinderella package doesn't mean you should rate this book poorly. It was well-written, had an intriguing story-line, superbly developed characters and really delved deep into the human psyche.

This book isn't what I would call a romance, although there is romance/love/heartache & some forms of happiness within its pages. I can't even pinpoint what the exact genre would be for this book, but exquisite would define it best.

Deborah Epperson really makes you think. The entire time you want to save Twig, but she can't be saved. She is literally being broken on almost every.single.page. But don't worry their is redemption and even though its no fairy tale ending its real. It's true. And it really touches the heart. Throughout most of the story I couldn't help, but think "If I was Twig, what would I have done?"

And unless you are Twig you can't honestly answer that question.

If you are looking for a book that takes a chance, tips the scale and teeters on the edge of "How in the hell did she write this?!?" Then Deborah Epperson is your girl and Breaking Twig is your story.

p.s. the title of this book is pure genius.
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Twig.

02/22/2012 page 175

Stephenie wow! Great review MP!

Melissa Stephenie wrote: "wow! Great review MP!"

Thanks Steph!!! Although I see a ton of grammar issues. I learned so much after writing Seeds. LOL :D

message 3: by Fantasysnake (new)

Fantasysnake I am nos so sure, yet another abuse book?