Luann's Reviews > The Sneetches and Other Stories

The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, picture-books
Read on February 22, 2012

I had read "The Sneetches" before, but not the other stories in this book. Clearly the Sneetches are the star here. (Ha! The pun was unintentional, but it did make me laugh when I noticed it.) The Sneetches is one of the Dr. Seuss stories I've used as a readers' theater for my library classes. I really like the lesson it teaches. The other stories are strange, end abruptly, and are not memorable at all - except maybe "What was I scared of?" which I think could have been the inspiration for The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. :)

So that I will know for sure later that I read the other stories in this book, I've written a "moral" for each one:

The Sneetches: "Just because you have a star on your belly doesn't mean you are better than those who don't." OR "Don't listen to that con-man; he's making money from your insecurities!"

The Zax: "Being stubborn can be very inconvenient for you and for those who have to build a road over you."

Too Many Daves: "Thinking of strange names for your children after you've already named them 'Dave' doesn't do you any good."

What was I scared of: "Don't be afraid of empty pants. They are really quite friendly."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sneetches and Other Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ronyell Great review Luann! I loved this book too!