MJ's Reviews > Carrier of the Mark

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Feb 22, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: twi-moms-will-love, ireland, it-had-so-much-potential-but, instant-luv
Read from February 22 to 28, 2012

I bought this book in good faith. I honestly planned on loving it. But when I read it, something just felt off. Being the sassy detective I am, I went to Good Reads and found out that I was not crazy. The book is like Twilight Éirinn go Brách Edition. I'm not going to go into the particulars because I feel that Stephanie's review does this part justice. What I'm going to focus on is the actual book itself. I feel like there was a lot of potential here. Yet the book itself felt so stilted. First there was Megan herself. She seems nice enough, but there's nothing really special about her. Oh, yes we're told repeatedly that she's able to do great things that she's some sort of Wonder Woman in disguise (she's no Diana Prince though). But really other than the fact that she's a girl who is apparently a carrier of the mark, there's nothing really that we know about her. So, she likes to eat cereal. Other than that, all she ever does throughout the novel is obsess over Adam, even before she has a conversation with him. This bothers me on a lot of levels. I understand that this is a fiction, but what makes good fiction is an element of realism (hence, creative writing lesson 101: write what you know). And most people don't start obsessing over someone without at least talking to them. Or for that matter fall in love within the span of five minutes. Seriously, both characters fall in love with each other after one kiss. And yeah, there is such a thing as love at first sight. But it's only supposed to happen in works like Romeo and Juliet or Twilight.

Besides character development the world building, the dialogue felt fake. World building was mostly done through dialogue. I think this was done so that Fallon would be "showing" rather than "telling" only this little technique backfired on her. While it is true that you can show through dialogue, the dialogue has to not obvious be a place for info dumping and needs to feel nature. Besides that, there could've been some variance in using narrative or descriptive passes in between dialogue that informed us about Megan's destiny. Once again, the one positive thing, besides the beautiful setting that I can say about this book is that it had an interesting concept. I love stuff that deals with the elements and for that matter Celtic mythology. Though I do have to say there were parts that reminded me a little too much of Captain Planet especially if.....

Best Feature: Ireland. I love Ireland. I studied there abroad last summer and I was hoping for some nostalgia with this book. Unfortunately, the beautiful lush setting of Ireland was often fluffed over. Although, I generally don't like over descriptive passages, I think this would be the time to do them. Megan's an American girl in Ireland, you sort of become obsessed with the foreign country that you're forced to live in.

Worse Feature: Stiffness in the writing: I get this is Fallon's freshman debut, but the writing really felt stiff (which I mentioned in the main review). I feel like a lot of this is probably the editor's/publisher's fault more than anything else for rushing this thing out. I really think there was a great concept here, it just didn't work out and it's really sad.

To See Full Review (which includes Captain Planet clips and casting) click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrier of the Mark.

02/23/2012 page 100
29.0% "How can it be possible to love/obsess over someone without even having a proper conversation?" 4 comments
02/24/2012 page 120
35.0% "So interesting how one can be in loooove in the span of five pages by having one conversation together. And now twenty pages later she's visiting his family for their first date. Seriously, has someone contacted SMeyer about Condensed Twilight: Shamrock Edition?" 1 comment
02/25/2012 page 139
41.0% "Creative Lesson 101: Show not tell. Although, dialogue is a good way to do SOME world building. World building should also be done through descriptive narrative. Otherwise it will sound very fake and boring."
02/25/2012 page 185
54.0% "Dialogue smialouge. All this info dumping is boring me fast."
02/26/2012 page 218
64.0% "Trinity College! I should be more ecstatic about the fact that they're actually at a place I visited. But I'm not. I think it's because Special Snowflake (aka Megan) is having no difficulty at all fitting into her paranormal world which is just like...never mind...."
02/27/2012 page 317
93.0% "You can make a lot of headway when reading while commuting. So, it's actually a little interesting now, if you can look past all the Twitlit similarities. Which sort of makes me sad because there was so much potential only there are so many things with this book that are just so wrong." 1 comment
02/27/2012 page 342
100.0% "Okay, done with it. The ending reminded me a bit like Captain Planet. Will work on review hopefully will have it posted within the next few days."
04/13/2016 marked as: read