Rachel's Reviews > True

True by Katherine Hannigan

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, favorites
Read in April, 2012

The synopsis, book flap teasers and cheery cover all paint a different picture than what I actually found inside these pages, which is probably good, because confronted face to face with the real themes, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Hopefully this may get it into the hands of young people (and other "old" people) who should read it. This is a hard book about hard things presented in a light manner. Not "light" as in making light of, but as in, not too heavy handed. And yet, the deep, hard things are broiling, just under the surface.

I like Katherine Hannigan's writing style, but I'm not normally a big fan of an abundance of "made up words", and true to form that annoyed me for awhile, but in the end I accepted it, as it seemed to fit Delly Pattison.

I admire the author's courage in taking on fragile and important children's themes that are anything but childish and for her skill at handling them carefully, but with honest clarity. There is something very real and vulnerable in her characters that makes you love the child and the teacher who cares and encourages you to ponder the not-so-happily ever afters that we forget are all around our vigorously guarded, glass houses.

I picked this up in the JV section, but I'd be more comfortable with it in the YA section. The main characters are younger, but readers with stronger shoulders would be better served, both for carrying and for lifting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True.