Drebbles's Reviews > Buried in a Book

Buried in a Book by Lucy Arlington

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in February, 2012

After 45 year old newspaper journalist Lila Wilkins is laid off she needs to find a job - fast. Luckily she finds one right away as an intern for the Novel Idea Literary Agency. Not so luckily, she stumbles across a dead body soon after she starts working there. The police investigate Marlette Robbins’ death but they have more pressing concerns than the death of a penniless aspiring author who hadn't bathed in years. Marlette’s death bothers Lila and she begins her own investigation. She needs to be careful, however, or she may be the next victim.

There are so many things to like about “Buried in a Book” starting with Lila herself. It is always nice having someone a bit older as the “star” of a cozy mystery. One of the best parts of this book is Lila's relationship with her teenage son, Trey, who causes her more than one sleepless night; and her mother, Althea, who is a psychic - a bit eccentric but caring. These relationships are very real and interesting. It is also nice to see Lila is still interested in romance after a bad divorce - all cozy mysteries inevitably have a romance in them but I especially enjoyed this one. Another thing I really liked in this book is Lila’s new job. Author Lucy Arlington gives plenty of samples of query letters that will catch an agent’s attention and those that won't - in some ways this book is a gift of love for aspiring authors. As for the mystery aspects - for the most part it is well plotted with not only Marlette’s death to solve but finding works of his he hid all over town. I did figure out pretty early on who the killer was - or at least I thought I did! There were some unexpected twists in this book that caught me off guard and definitely make it worth reading.

”Buried in a Book” is the nicely done first book in the new “A Novel Idea” cozy mystery series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buried in a Book.