Zee's Reviews > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: childrens, curriculumtext, contemporary, historicalfiction
Read from February 22 to 26, 2012

Even though this book is about the Holocaust and Auschwitz there is a persistent, deliberate sense of censorship that haunts the narrative and stops us from truly experiencing the horrors of the concentration camp. This will either have one of two effects on the reader: either they will be attracted to this 'lighter' way of story-telling, or they will be completely put off by it.

The story is about Bruno, a nine-year old boy living in Berlin with his wealthy family, who comes home one day from school to find they are moving to a place called 'Out-With'. Bruno is greatly disappointed and mourns the fact that he will no longer be able to play at exploring the nooks and crannies of the grand, mahoghany rooms. This tumultuous change in family life is all due to his father's promotion, which coincided with a personal visit from a short, cold-mannered and rather rude man known as 'the Fury'.

Bruno resents the visit and the ensuing developments that cause his family to move, and when they do eventually arrive at their new home his disappointment grows into despair. 'Out-With' turns out to be a desolate place in the middle of nowhere and no place for a young adventurous boy to grow up. Even his mother objects and is uneasy with their surroundings; which he knows only because he hears his parents arguing about it.

With no friends to play with and no other houses for miles around, Bruno tries to make the best of things; however it doesn't take long before Bruno's inquisitive nature gets the better of him and he discovers that there are people living nearby. People living in a high-walled building; people who walk around listlessly wearing nothing but blue striped pyjamas. Bruno's imagination is ignited and it is not long before he finds a way to reach this place and befriend a boy, just like him, who has had to leave his home behind because of the 'Fury'.

What ensues is a friendship that destroys ethnic and religious boundaries and which ends in a final, cruel twist of fate.

Boyne warns us that this is ultimately a fable, a cautionary tale and that it is not true; even though the rare moments when we do get a glimpse of the horrors of Auschwitz goes to show that Boyne stays faithful to real accounts of that time.

However, I assume Boyne chose to write the story through the eyes of a nine-year-old in order to cultivate a more innocent, 'fable-like' approach. And indeed this not only leaks into the perspective, but also into the language of the characters in the form of 'Out-With' and 'the Fury'. This, and other forms of censorship/ banning of 'bad' words are both a blessing and a curse. I initially read this book with a group of Year 8 students, and appreciated the fact that the story was clean and straight-forward to read. It also helped that they had to do a little thinking to figure out who 'the Fury' was and what 'Out-With' meant. However, I couldn't help smiling when some more 'awake' readers complained that the main character was a little dumb. My twelve year olds had touched on a very good point.

While Boyne was trying to make a terrible account about WW2 and concentration camps more accessible for younger children; he has also managed to 'lobotimize' it too. From experience I (and my year 8's) know that most 9 year-olds are not as ignorant as the way Bruno is portrayed to be in the novel. They are the exact opposite: inquisitive and highly precocious. Children at that age learn things almost by osmosis and I feel (like my students) that Boyne made a grave mistake when dumbing his main character down like that.

If you are looking for an ideal book for your 11-13 year old that will tie in with their History classes and is a little more conservative, then this is the perfect book. However I would suggest that reading together would be the best, as then issues and questions can be raised about the narrative, who knows, you might be surprised about the intelligent responses you get as I did with my school kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

02/23/2012 page 41
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

switterbug (Betsey) I just read a myth-like Holocaust story--HEIDEGGER'S GLASSES. Sometimes it is good to read something tilted that is set in that era.

message 2: by Zee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zee I agree, it was a nice change to read with the kids and see the novel from their POV. Actually I didn't mention it in the review but I think some of them do find it hard to process/ understand what happened during the holocaust and it's easy to undestand why: these children have never seen war. They are a different generation growing up inb the information age that is sadly world's apart from the 'real-life' tragedies that did and could happen again.

They did ask a lot of questions which indicated that they were looking for a way to absorb or dig a way into the text. I had a lot of fun explaining things and seeing their reactions. Some even went off and did a little exploring of the subject by themselves. However I was greatly annoyed by the History teacher NOT showing them the documentary on the Holocaust. Again censorship. He said is was too graphic for them. Poppy-cock! That video is accessible freely to anyone who goes on youtube. I made the children watch it, and those who were laughing about the concentration camp and the pyjama children were NOT laughing by the time they had seen the atrocities.

I think with a book like this it's upto the teacher to find a safe way into the subtext and gradually let them into the historical context. It's a thorny issue that I can't wait to explore once I get my teaching degree. sorry, ranted a bit!

Who wrote 'Heidegger's Glasses'? I would like to read it if it's any good :)

switterbug (Betsey) Here'e my review--author Thaisa Frank

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Thanks for this review Zee, I've wondered about this book. I also agree with the suggestion of Heidegger's Glasses: A Novel. I did find that took a bit of reading to get into but once I did, it was intriguing on many levels.