Book Him Danno's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012

Sometimes when I read Grisham I get a serious legal drama really tearing into some piece of the law. It makes me reconsider some of my preconceived notions as a legal novice. Then you also get the lighthearted Grisham who is merely trying to entertain. This book read like a movie, a dramedy. And that is not a bad thing. Grisham has a track record of writing some really good movie plots.

The characters that interact with our hero are in place to create laughs, to remind us not to take the tension too seriously. The divorced and broken law partners to the sassy secretary. All are there for the straight man to play off of. And for the most part they do it pretty well. The whole time I kept seeing the film playing in my head with the requisite laughter present.

But underneath I liked the serious message being shared. Money will not fix what is wrong with your life if you don’t like what you are doing. In Judd Apatow’s interview on Marc Maron’s WTF podcast in which he shared he loved his job. He would still be doing what he does living in a crap apartment if he never made it big because he absolutely loves what he does. The money is just icing, not cake.

If you are truly doing what you want the money will follow, or at least enough to get by. People run into trouble when they begin to love what the money brings to the table more than what they are doing. They start making compromises and then they are prisoners to the system, a system they themselves built. Living your dreams is a scary thing to do, especially as you progress down other paths and get responsibility heaped upon you. Very scary indeed.

Our hero manages it and since this is a comedy, everything works out for him in the end. If only we all could be so lucky. It reminds be of Daniel Gilbert’s work a little. Happiness is where you find it, and most people will say getting fired ultimately was the greatest thing that ever happened to them. We just have to ride through those waves first.

Thanks to T Stevens for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.

03/31/2016 marked as: read