Blythe Jewell's Reviews > Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice

Thirst No. 1 by Christopher Pike

Feb 22, 12

Read in September, 2011

Meh. An okay first book in an otherwise dismal series. Liked the premise and main character Sita's emotional detachment is a nice change from the sappy emotionalism you find in other books of this genre... but the constant oversell of how awesome she is ("I am so beautiful men melt at one look!" "I am so strong I can crush your bones with one squeeze!" "I am so fast I can fly from here to China and back in the blink of your eye!" "I am so mean I can kill you without even thinking twice about it, well maybe if you're really nice I'll feel bad for a second but that is IT!" "Did I mention that I am incredibly beautiful?") wore thin by page 10. And the idea that this vampire has been around for 5,000 years but only falls in love with this one kid, for no discernible reason and pretty much immediately, is totally distracting. The kid's got no real personality, for pete's sake.

I stayed with the series until the end and there were a couple of the books that weren't too bad, but overall I'd say skip it. Many better series in this genre to choose from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirst No. 1.