Ruthie Knox's Reviews > One Fine Day

One Fine Day by Theresa Weir

Feb 22, 2012

Read from February 22 to 24, 2012

I wasn't sure how many stars to give this one, because I'm still not sure what I think about it. But I settled on four, because I didn't want to stop reading it, and I just spent my entire run thinking about it. Which I'd say means it was a book worth picking up.

One Fine Day is not a romance, exactly. Weir's product description says she wrote it when publishers were experimenting with books that crossed women's fiction with romance, and this was an attempt to do that. I can see what she means -- there's an exploration of the protagonists' entire . . . I don't know, mien? that puts me in mind of women's fiction. And also, it takes place within a broken marriage, which is women's fiction-ish (though also something that I like to see in romance). But at the same time, this book is dark, dark. So dark that for a long time, I wasn't positive who the hero was going to turn be. I was pretty sure it would be Austin, but I didn't know that I wanted it to be.

Like most (all?) of Weir's romance, this novel has protagonists who don't talk to each other. They're self-protective, frightened, prideful people. This is something I like about Weir's work, but also a frustrating element. Some day, I'll write a Wonkomance.com post about it. But in the meantime, I'll say this -- when the romance hinges on the protagonists' willingness to open up and be honest with each other, it's easier to buy their happy-ever-after if they do this, finally, after a few weeks or months together. When they've been self-protective and cagey for 20-odd years, and even downright abusive, it's hard to accept that they've turned a corner. I wish Weir had given us more ending, and at least one or two deeper conversations between Austin and Molly, before the book came to a close. I'd like to believe that they'll be all right, but I'm not sure I do.

Still, all in all, One Fine Day was well worth reading, particularly if you're already a fan of Weir's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fine Day.