Delilah's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Michael Cargill

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: language-english, thriller, historical, 50-2012
Read from February 22 to March 06, 2012, read count: 1

In short words: This collection of short stories was simply amazing.

The slightly longer version is like this:(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.

02/22/2012 page 26
25.0% "First story done: Wow, just wow."
03/05/2012 page 57
54.81% "WW2 story. As my grandfather would have said: "Starker Tobak" ('strong tobacco' in English). I only wonder what the garbled German was supposed to mean. Even if it was written phonetically from an English-speaking POV, it made no sense in German. *ponders native language*"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Cargill Hi Delilah

Apologies if it is considered vulgar for me to comment on your reading progress - I have literally only just discovered this function!

The garbled German was meant to 'sound' how a startled non-German speaker might hear it. I was curious about how it would be interpreted by people.

Delilah Hi Michael,

I don't have the slightest idea if commenting on the reading process is a no go. So I think apologies are not needed.

Does the garbled German actually mean a phrase which you translated into garbled, or is it just nonsense words that don't need a translation? Because I just can't figure out some words and I've seen some pretty scary phonetically-English German sentences in the past.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Cargill No, it doesn't actually mean anything. I don't speak any German so I just typed some fairly random Germanish-sounding words.

I sometimes wonder if that is why we have so much trouble deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics; they don't actually mean anything, it was just some bored slave kid mucking around.

Delilah That just might be plausible. :)