Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Spirit

Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

Feb 04, 14

bookshelves: for-review, allen-and-unwin, i-own, publisher-sent
Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Read in 2013

Thank you to Allen & Unwrin for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for an honest review

Find this review and more on my blog The Rest Is Still Unwritten!

Spirit marks the third installment in Brigid Kemmerer's sensational Elementals series and is a sizzling and emotionally driven story that finally delves into the heart and head of Hunter Garrity in this thrilling and at time unsuspecting story!

I have to say....Brigid Kemmerer is a genius! Seriously. I'm honestly coming to believe that this woman is incapable of writing a bad word, let alone a book. Her stories are just that good; full of danger, angst and emotion and all woven together with supernatural elements, romance and friendship!

Spirit was a eagerly awaited story for me. Ever since the first book Storm I've adored the Merrick brothers, but I have to say, Hunter's always been an enigma within the series for me--I've never really known who he is or what his motives are--and in Spirit that's all finally laid bare as we finally get to read Hunter's story.

And what a story it was! Brigid Kemmerer writes Hunter's tale in that talented way that is her signature with so much emotion and rawness within. Stripping Hunter right back and allowing us readers to really glimpse his pain and internal turmoil, Kemmerer really had me heartbroken at times for Hunter in a way I was not expecting or prepared for. Having read this book I can now see that Hunter Garrity is so much more than he appeared and I love him all the more.

That being said, there is so much fun and excitement to be found in this book, with plenty of friendship and romance taking center stage at times too. In Spirit, the relationship between Hunter and the Merricks is finally explored and Hunter must decide where he stands with them. I adored what Kemmerer does with these boys--trust is a big issue, but so is friendship and comradeship; with the littlest acts of friendship and kindness meaning so much.

As Hunter's love interest in Spirit, Kate Sullivan was not someone I was prepared for in this book. Kate was a complete and utter surprise at times and as her and Hunter's relationship blossomed, and we came to understand her, I really found myself liking her. So in saying this, Brigid Kemmerer broke my heart regarding Kate at the end of this book and I abundantly feel Hunter's pain. I can't wrap my heart around how they ended and feel torn apart by the shocking conclusion to the story Kemmerer revealed.

Told in dual POV, Spirit is a well written, well paced and action packed ride. There's humour, romance and friendship all woven into it's pages with emotion left, right and center. Many of the characters are faced with difficult decisions like never before, especially Hunter, and Kemmerer manages to include many surprises; both good and bad. There's love, laughter and pain in this wonderfully well written novel and after turning the final page, I'm very excited to see what happens in the next book!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit.

10/30/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/30/2013 page 69
23.0% "Awwww. Poor Hunter! The world can be so cruel :/"
10/31/2013 page 205
69.0% "Awww, Hunter :("
11/02/2013 page 293
99.0% "Finished. Review to come."
11/02/2013 marked as: to-read