ChuCha's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Feb 22, 2012

bookshelves: fun-fun-books, personal-favorites, sports-buff, food
Read from February 22 to 24, 2012

Bittersweet is one of the most delicious books I have ever read. It took me just a couple of hours to finish this book on my Kindle. I was all wrapped up – drooling because the chapter titles are sinfully to die for. It makes me crave for a bunch of cupcakes with weird-sounding names.

Besides those amazing chapter names that could tick your sense of taste and wish it out of the pages, I also love the characters in this novel. Starting with Hudson, she started as a soon-to-be-Olympic-champion-type figure skater, but something went wrong and she turned her back away from it all – from an all-too-promising future. Now, three years later, her life is filled with a lot of stuffs including skating, baking cupcakes, waitressing at the diner, and taking care of her brother. So it’s not really a surprise when she’s near emotional wreck with all of these stuff fell into her lap. She has a lot of issue of things that fell apart along with an unexpected betrayal by someone she loved. I wish I could be more sympathetic to her, but most of the time, I’d like to strangle her more because of her unwise decisions and bad moves. I love the growth of her character all throughout the book. Her decision at the end of the story surprised me, it was unexpected, but I was happy that she stood by it and didn’t regret anything.

She has an amazing best friend, Dani who greatly complements her personality. There is a wise-for-their-real-age brother who is just adorable and sweet.

And of course, who could forget the hockey boys!!! Hudson is quite confused when it comes to the opposite sex. The choices: real tough! It was a choice between the captain who wants her, and then shows it and the co-captain who sends in signals but gets on the phone a lot with another girl. I love the romance. I love the thing she did with the hockey players. I’m glad Ockler didn’t overdo these hunks. They were fascinating, funny, sweet and quite obnoxious (most jocks are).

Bittersweet is a fun, a little bit emotional and complex. The setting – all those snow and hot chocolates is just perfect and makes those who do not experience winter wish for snow. Once again, Sarah Ockler made an amazing novel, that made me swoon over the characters and over cupcakes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

Quotes ChuCha Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Being with Josh is like being touched from the inside out. An unexpected blaze of sunshine on an otherwise bleak winter day. Wrapping your fingers around a mug of hot chocolate after walking home in that frigid lake-effect wind. A fire crackling softly beneath your outstretched hands. The perfect combination of cupcake and icing, the kind where you can’t quite identify all the secret ingredients, but you feel them melting together on your tongue, and you know that for as long you live, this will be the best thing you’ve ever tasted.”
Sarah Ockler, Bittersweet
tags: love

Sarah Ockler
“Everyone says that the internet is so awesome because you can connect with people from all over the world, but I think it’s the opposite. The internet doesn’t make it easier to connect with anyone—it just makes it so you don’t really have to.”
Sarah Ockler, Bittersweet