Lindley Walter-smith's Reviews > Lucky Star 1

Lucky Star 1 by Kagami Yoshimizu

Feb 24, 12

Read from February 22 to 24, 2012

This is like the dessicated corpse of Azumanga with all the comedy, inventiveness and charm sucked out. I can see why it kept being recommended to me as an Azumanga fan - the same set of four-panel "stories" arranged in vague episodes, following a group of girls throughout high school, with a female otaku as the novelty character instead of a child prodigy in that role.

Unfortunately, the characters are unlikeable and difficult to care about, the art is really creepy - these are high school girls looking like six year olds, yet they are not entirely unsexualised - and just really not good, and worst of all, it's really not funny. It didn't raise even a faintly amused smile in me. I also really didn't like the moe character, her presentation creeped me out, although admittedly I pretty much never like moe characters, so YMMV. (I can't actually remember any of the character names, which probably says something about how attached I (failed to) become to the characters.)

Only my own stubbornness and a desire to find something to justify its inexplicable popularity got me to the end of the first volume.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Star 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sesana (new)

Sesana From looking at the cover, I never would have guessed that this was supposed to be a high school book. Ick.