Ms. Library's Reviews > The Goblin Wood

The Goblin Wood by Hilari Bell

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: pretty-good, owned, ya-fantasy
Read from February 21 to 26, 2012

So, I really enjoyed this book. I just had so much fun reading it, and I didn't want to put it down. I wanted to find out what happened to Makenna. I needed to know if the goblins survived. There was something about this that just captured my interest.

The writing style is fairly standard. There wasn't really anything about it that captured my interest, and where I thought "Wow that is beautiful." However, I did enjoy myself. I think the plot really drew me in, and the author crafted her story so well. I think it was interesting how she set up the goblin versus human war, and how the priests really instigated this struggle. I think the idea that the people had to move because of the war in the south, so they simply had to take over the goblin's land and make them the enemy seemed all too familiar. There was something about this that rang very true. Both sides seemed so desperate. The goblins just want to be left alone, but that really isn't an option. They have to deal with change, and they have to figure out that standing and fighting for their land is getting harder and harder.

Makenna is a strong leader, but I liked that she wasn't perfect. She has to learn to be human again, because there is that part of her. She is lonely in a way, and she needs someone to remind her of her own humanity. I liked that the main focus in this book wasn't romance. I liked that she didn't simply give up on her war because of love, and I liked that although a male character was introduced, the main goal of his character was not to fall in love with the hedge witch. Though there are hints of something there, I think it makes sense that it wasn't developed yet.

I was really excited to hear that this was a series, and yes, I have already finished the second one as of this review. I'm happy that it continues to be entertaining and to explore the same themes that this one did. Though its a fairly basic story, I found it to be really wonderful and exactly what I was in the mood for at the moment. If you're looking for a quick read with a little bit of magic, I would recommend this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goblin Wood.

02/22/2012 page 100
02/24/2012 page 200
52.0% "I am really enjoying this one." 1 comment
02/25/2012 page 250
65.0% 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Steph (new)

Steph I can't read the past couple of days. I just can't focus on anythings. It's driving me NUTS.

Ms. Library I'm having trouble focusing on sevenwaters, but I easily finished this. Maybe you just haven't found the right book?

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph What's up with Seven Waters? I've been eying that one for awhile. Nah, I think it's just that I get into these moods every once in awhile where I want to read but my brain doesn't want to read. It's a buzzkill. I really was enjoying White Cat's sequel (though admittedly not as much as White Cat) and I'm guessing I'll really get into Pandemonium today. Also, you might like The King's Thief. I guess the first one is slow (but like Fellowship is slow - lots of walking and eating) but I hear they are pretty great after that.

Ms. Library I think I'm going to hold off on adding to my to-read list for now. Its already a little long;)
And its good. I'm about 80 pages into it, and its definitely a slow build. Its about this girl who has six brothers and lives in the wood and is chosen for something important. Like I said, its a slow build, because at 80 pages the "evil stepmother" JUST showed up, so I'm hoping it picks up from here. There's 6? books in the series, and considering its called sevenwaters, that makes me laugh.
Also, if you're looking for a light historical read, you should check out Bloody Jack, because its pretty amusing and a really fast read. I would get it from the library.
It wasn't the best historical novel I have ever read, but I really liked the main character, and its an entertaining series.