Jolie's Reviews > The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: bloodlines, favorites, books-i-own
Read in June, 2012

I can't wait... I wish it was coming out this minute but at least I can get as a late birthday present.

Things I Want To Happen:
For Dimtri and Adrian to fight
Sydney and Adrian kiss when she is dating Braydon
Sydney follows her heart
That Jill finds out that Micah and Trey are vampire hunters
Sydney gets used to magic and speicalises in fire
Zoe, Christan, Lissa, Rose (obviously if Queen Lissa is there) appear.
Jill finds out that Eddie has a crush on her
Jill and Eddie date

Best birthday present EVER!

Also, why did they change the book cover?! I mean, it was alright before.

(view spoiler)

Everything was no or maybe! So sad...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

Quotes Jolie Liked

Richelle Mead
“Adrian, I'm on a date. Why are you here? On my car?”

Richelle Mead
“You need me? You yell. You want to leave? We go. I'll get you out of here, no matter what.”

Richelle Mead
“You made your own jean shorts...with a butter knife?”

Richelle Mead
“I found the candles—atrocious air freshening ones that smelled like fake pine.”

Richelle Mead
“Too bad you got so bogged down in books. You've got the spirit of a warrior.”

Richelle Mead
“I felt the need to clarify we were there for the self defense class, in case he also taught about dog breeding or riding the high seas.”

Richelle Mead
“I’d mentioned this odd wardrobe choice to Adrian a couple of weeks ago:
“Isn’t Dimitri hot?”
Adrian’s response hadn’t been entirely unexpected:
“Well, yeah, according to most women, at least.”

Richelle Mead
“You'd give up drinking to go see your dad?"
"Well, not permanently," he said. "That'd be ridiculous. But maybe I could switch to something slightly cheaper for a while. Like...slushes. Do you know how much I love those? Cherry, especially.”

Richelle Mead
“You're in an awfully good mood," he observed. "Was there a sale at Khakis-R-Us?”

Richelle Mead
“Day 24. Situation is growing worse. My captors continue to find new and horrific ways to torture me. When not working, Agent Scarlet spends her days examining fabric swatches for bridesmaid dresses and going on about how in love she is. This usually causes Agent Boring Borscht to regale us with stories of Russian weddings that are even more boring than his usual ones. My attempts at escape have been thwarted thus far. Also, I am out of cigarettes. Any assistance or tobacco products you can send will be greatly appreciated.
-Prisoner 24601”

“Really, Sage? A date?”
I sighed. “Yes, Adrian. A date.”
“A real date. Not, like, doing homework together,” he added.
“I mean like where you go out to a movie or something. And a
movie that’s not part of a school assignment. Or about something boring.”
“A real date.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.
"It's barely noon," said Nathan.
"I know," said Adrian. "I'm surprised I held out that long too.”

Richelle Mead
“He shouldn't have said that," repeated Adrian, eerily serious. He leaned his face toward mine. "I don't care if he's not the emotional type or the complimentary type or what. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.”

Richelle Mead
“He shook his head. “No. Because there's no one else out there who understands you like I do.”
I waited for more. “That's it? You're not going to elaborate on what that means?”
Those green eyes held me. “I don't think I need to.”

Richelle Mead
“I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine.”

Richelle Mead
“He leaned closer to me and then seemed shocked as he realized what he was doing.

"Why would you do that? Why would you do that for me?”

Richelle Mead
“Sage," he said. "What are you wearing?"
I sighed and stared down at the dress. "I know. It's red. Don't start. I'm tired of hearing about it."
"Funny," he said. "I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at it.”

Richelle Mead
“For once, you're going to hear something that doesn't fit into your neat, compartmentalized world of order and logic and reason.”

Richelle Mead
“It doesn't matter. Take Eddie's blood. Take Belikov's blood. Take your own for all I care. But If she doesn't want to give hers, then that's all there is to it. She said no. This conversation is done.”

Richelle Mead
“Slushes. Do you know how much I love those? Cherry, especially.”

Richelle Mead
“Jill was tall and slim, like most Moroi. With that figure came a modest chest. Angeline's chest...was not so modest.”

Richelle Mead
“What about you, Sage? I know we don't have to worry about you violating the dress code. Did you have fun at your Alchemist spa this weekend?”

Richelle Mead
“I find prostitutes vastly important.”

Richelle Mead
“He froze, and for one moment, we stood locked in time. I could feel the silk of his shirt against my skin and the warmth of his body. The lingering scent of the overpriced cologne he wore floated around me. No smoke for a change. I’d always told him the cologne couldn’t be worth what he spent, but suddenly, I reconsidered. It was amazing.”

Richelle Mead
“Sydney, this is the kind of shirt that says, ‘You’re never getting in here.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian stood there leaning against the doorframe, watching me with his heart in his eyes. In my chest, my own heart was breaking. On my cheek, the lily reminded me who I was. ”

Richelle Mead
“Nothing he said could change what I think of you. I've had my mind made up about you for a long time... and it's all good.”

Richelle Mead
“Isn’t it obvious, Sage? No, of course it isn’t. I did it so I’d have a reason to be around you — one I knew you couldn’t refuse.”

Richelle Mead
“He reached out and pulled me to him, one hand on my waist and the other behind my neck. He tipped my head up and lowered his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and melted as my whole body was consumed in that kiss. I was nothing. I was everything. Chills, ran over my skin, and fire burned inside me. His body pressed closer to mine, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. His lips were warmer and softer than anything I could have ever imagined, yet fierce and powerful at the same time. Mine responded hungrily, and I tightened my hold on him. His fingers slid down the back of my neck, tracing its shape, and every place they touched was electric.”

Richelle Mead
“Ah, those two. In a fight, they’re lethal. Around each other, they melt.”

Richelle Mead
“But perhaps the best part of all was that I, Sydney Katherine Sage, guilty of constantly analyzing the world around me, well, I stopped thinking.”

Richelle Mead
“I wanted someone a little more approachable," I explained.
"What, like Captain McTropicalShorts back there? Where on earth did you find him anyway?"
"Just did an Internet search." Feeling a need to defend my research, I added, "He comes highly recommended."
"By who? Long John Silver?”

Richelle Mead
“Why not see which is brighter: your aura or the sun?”

Richelle Mead
“How is Angeline?" asked Dimitri. "Is she improving?"
Eddie and I exchanged glances. So much for avoiding her indiscretions. "improving how exactly?" I asked. "Improving how exactly?" I asked. "In combat, in following the dress code, or in keeping her hands to herself?"
"Or in turning off caps lock?" added Eddie.
"you noticed that too?"I asked.
"Hard not to," he said.
Dimitri looked surprised, which was not a common thing. He wasn't caught off guard very often, but then, no one could really prepare for what Angeline might do.
"I didn't realize I needed to be more specific," said Dimitri after a pause. "I meant combat.”

Richelle Mead
“You used nunchucks on a moose?"
Wolfe got a haunted look in his eyes. "I used all sorts of things on that bastard.”

Richelle Mead
“And here I thought you had a soft spot for reckless young girls.”

Richelle Mead
“We all screw up. Everyone makes mistakes. That’s what she did. It was bad judgment, that’s all. You don’t cut off the people you love for mistakes like that.”

Richelle Mead
“I'm telling you, I wanted to. But I was trapped. You of all people should know what it's like being caught between groups”

Richelle Mead
“Sorry, Ms. Terwilliger. I'm flattered that you think I'm such an upstanding person, but I'm already caught up in one epic battle of good versus evil. I don't need another.”

Richelle Mead
“So far I’m not seeing a lot of difference between me and a carnival con-man.”

Richelle Mead
“The question was which spell did I make? Which did I have time to make?
The answer was eerily simple.
I had time to make all of them.”

Richelle Mead
“Different time, different place,” I said. “Things can change. People can change.”

Richelle Mead
“I’m sorry ma’am,” I said. Really, I had no idea what else to say. I’d spent the weekend caught up in an epic battle to save humanity, and now… jean shorts?”

Richelle Mead
“Nice blouse, Sage,” Adrian told me, deadpan. “It really brings out the khaki in your pants.”

Richelle Mead
“I know how you guys feel about us. I'm not stupid, and believe me, I've tried to get you out of my head. But there isn't enough liquor or art or any other distraction in the world to do it. I had to stop going to Wolfe's because it was too hard being that close to you, even if it was all just pretend fighting. I couldn't stand the touching. It was agonizing because it meant something to me-and I knew it meant nothing to you. I kept telling myself to stay away altogether, and then I'd find excuses… like the car… anything to be around you again.”

Richelle Mead
“Note even Moroi give licenses to infants, Sage,”

Richelle Mead
“But I’m just going to be out there having a tea party with her cats or whatever it is she has in mind."

Adrian”

Richelle Mead
“You were totally unprepared for her.”
“That's for damned sure.”

Richelle Mead
“It was worth it. You looked... happy.”

Richelle Mead
“It'd be nice to have someone who understood some of the things that went on in my head.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marulett Me too!!! Great summary :)

Hope Robinson Really? Dimitri and Adrian? I like Adrian and all, but Dimitri would kick his butt! Compulsion can only go so far.