DavinciKittie's Reviews > The Breaker's Concubine

The Breaker's Concubine by Ann Mayburn

May 28, 12

bookshelves: ann-mayburn, bdsm, sci-fi-romance, futuristic, erotica, m-m, personal-favorites
Read in May, 2012

See the full review on GraveTells.com: http://gravetells.com/2012/05/05/revi...

First of all, the is one of the hottest book covers I’ve ever seen! I initially wanted to read it solely based on the “shiver factor” of the hot man on the front. Then I read the book blurb and knew this was one for me. Serious props to the artist who created the cover art and to Loose-ID for commissioning it in the spirit of the story.

On to the hotness…
I kept imagining the Breakers were like Mord’Sith from the Sword of Truth series… all bad-ass Mistresses dressed in leather pantsuits and employing all sorts of twisted tortures to break their prisoners down mentally, physically, and emotionally. I would have liked to have seen more initial resistance from Devnar during his training with his assigned Breaker, Melania. He submitted to her a little too quickly after his encouragement to his men and his own determination to be free. It was also difficult to get a feel for what a Breaker really does, since Melania tended to let him steamroll over her. I get that her technique is intentionally softer and that his growing mate bond made it difficult for him to deny her but I think just a tad more struggle for dominance between them would have racheted up the tension deliciously.

This book is definitely for D/s and menage lovers. Seeing Dev with other men (Khilam was quite yummy!) was just as hot as seeing him with Melania. While there are some m/m elements, it is tastefully done and doesn’t infringe on the bond between Devnar and Melania. Readers who shy away from anal play should have no problems with the scenes in this book.

There is also an underlying message of environmental and political responsibility in The Breaker’s Concubine. I liked that, while it is there for us to acknowledge and learn from if we choose, it’s not pushy or overly transparent.

This story is a relatively quick read, and filled with sizzling, creative, intense encounters… some low-key, some more sensually overt. Devnar certainty lives up to the sexy mancandy promised by the book’s cover, and brings along an addictive personality combination of aggressive dominance and loving submission. If D/s, menage, bondage, and exhibition get you hot under the collar,The Breaker’s Concubine is a recommended read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breaker's Concubine.