Andrea's Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Mar 07, 12

Read in February, 2012

This has been one of my favorite books so far this year. I have a passion for people with special needs. There aren’t any other people in this world that have an honest love like these people give. Caitlin has Asperger’s syndrome which is on the autism spectrum. Kathryn Erskine did an amazing job at portraying someone with this syndrome. Some people do not understand that a child or adult with autism have completely different personalities and capabilities than others diagnosed with the same syndrome. So, to say this is not a good portrayal of a person with autism is ignorant. This book is definitely a tear jerker and makes you feel exactly what the people in this story are feeling. Kathryn did a wonderful job of writing this book and describing everything Caitlin was feeling or going through. The only thing I wanted more of was her process of reaching the next step. You see in one chapter she is reading a book, and then she understands closure; I just wanted to see more details of her development to understand emotions. This book did not contain any pictures so it could be rather hard for children to really picture what she was seeing in her mind. I would not recommend this for younger children to read alone. I feel as if a parent should guide them along the way and help mold what the story is saying. This book could definitely be used as a tool to gain acceptance of others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.