Laura's Reviews > At Home in Mitford

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

Feb 21, 12

"I've learned not to live on any promises other than God's." p. 233

"Sixteenth chapter of Proverbs... Commit the works to the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established." p. 278

"You'll never know how I loved the orchards then, and the way the apples would fall on the grass and burst open in the sun. Then the bees would come, and the butterflies by the hundreds, and the fragrance that rose from the orchard floor was one of the sweetest thrills of my life." p. 304

"Life was better in those days, Father, it really was. When China Mae did the wash in the wash house, and we put the fire under that big iron pot, why, it was an exciting event. China Mae had joy over making the clothes come clean, while people today would think it was drudgery. We kind of celebrated on wash day. Mama would make a pineapple upside-down cake, and Louella and I would make stickies out of biscuit dough and cinnamon and sugar, and after that big load of work was done, we all sat down and had a tea party." p. 307

"My friend, if you keep your eyes on Christians, you will be disappointed every day of your life. Your hope is to keep your eyes on Christ." p. 327

Lots of neat quotes and beautiful writing, just not really exciting. I was not dying to turn the page. I did like getting to know Father Tim and how sweet he was to the town of Mitford.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Home in Mitford.