Toni's Reviews > The Eden Express: A Memoir of Insanity

The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: culture
Read from February 17 to 21, 2012

It seems sometimes that there is a direct relationship between how hard I try to be a good person and how sad I get about the world. Mark Vonnegut became insane chasing a lot of the feelings I sometimes get caught up in. During the 1960s he is very involved in being a "good hippie" (his words, not mine). His quest to be unselfish and rational leads him down a frightening path of insanity, and eventually recovery. This is an amazing memoir, and I'm very glad I read it. I related so much to his feelings about fidelity and love. Of feeling that it is ridiculous to care about who put what where and when, but still having feelings of betrayal and ownership over a person. He met so many interesting and compassionate souls and bonded deeply with nature, but his chemistry still made him sort of an unstable time bomb. I'm very glad he was able to recover enough to write this book. There was just so much about it that was absolutely perfect, and I'll never forget the experience. So many of his thoughts have earned a place in my mind, but I'll leave you with a favorite:
“Having their feelings make sense is how people get their kicks. It's regrets that make painful memories. When I was crazy I did everything just right.”
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eden Express.