Bry's Reviews > The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Jul 24, 08

bookshelves: 2008, rubbish, jane-austen-esque

I was extremely excited to read this book at first, as I am with any book association with the great Jane Austen.

I felt slightly dissapointed at it's end though, and unfortunately it was placed on my "probably won't be read again shelf" on my bokoself.

The parts in which they discussed the various Austen novels was wonderful. Despite the number of times I have read each book there were things brought up in this novel about the one they were reviewing that I had not thought of before.

It was the storyline behind the club that I found lacking. Each character only had 1 chapter to really define themselves and not all the characters were able to accomplish that goal. I felt that some of the characters were lacking, both in personality and back story. If the structure of the book hadn't been based solely on the monthly book meeting, and had allowed for further character development I think I would have enjoyed it much more.

Still it is worth reading, especially if you are a true Jane Austen fan simply for the book club aspect. Hopefully it will help you see each of Jane's novels in a new perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jane Austen Book Club.