Mimo's Reviews > What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

Aug 01, 07

bookshelves: ya, love-stories
Recommended for: people who like a good first love or teen dating story
Read in July, 2007

Note: If you've read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, ask yourself-- what would have happened if Peter Hoten had dated Josie Cormier? And then read What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know.

This book tells Robin's side of the relationship with Sophie from What My Mother Doesn't Know. Robin has always been the kid everyone picks on, his last name is routinely used as an insult, and has certainly never had a girlfriend. All of a sudden he is dating Sopie, one of the pretty girls in school. Unfortunately the relationship is social suicide for Sophie, which causes problems for the pair. At the same time Robin is taking advanced art classes and meeting new friends who don't know him as "Murphy". Like WMMDK, this book is written in verse making it a quick read and possibly a good suggestion for reluctant readers. Overall, I think that Sones does a good job of capturing a high school relationship/first loves without making it seem fake or contrived. Though I can't speak to the male perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know.