Jakki's Reviews > Austentatious

Austentatious by Alyssa Goodnight

Mar 06, 12

Read from February 21 to 23, 2012

Austentatious! What a fun, hot novel! I was swept up in a whirlwind of kooky advice, humorous characters and steamy romance.

When Nicola James beings writing in an antique-looking diary, her life begins to change. Once her journal begins writing back, she must decide if she is going to cling to normalcy, predictability, and her life plan, or throw caution to the wind and cross over to the weird side. After all, the unofficial motto of her hometown, Austin, Texas, is “Keep Austin Weird.” And who knows, maybe she will finally get her “weird” t-shirt.

Helping Nicola along her journey are her friends, who truly added to the exuberance and humor of the story. For starters, there are Nic’s neighbors, Leslie and Laura. Leslie’s salacious humor and superfluous use of clichés garnered many laughs and shakes of the head accompanied by eye rolls. Throw in Nic’s mentee Bec, best friend Gabe, and co-worker Brett, and the smiles and laughs abound. Finally, there is Sean MacInnes with his wealth of innuendoes and one-liners, guaranteed to make any girl blush.

I enjoyed watching Nic’s inner struggle as her life is turned upside down by Fairy Jane’s wisdom. Here, Nic must decide if she should pursue the logical and sensible Brett, who conveniently fits into her life plan, or take a chance on the charming and confident Sean MacInnes, who may just be another Henry Crawford.

Speaking of men. Oh! My! Word! Can Alyssa Goodnight write some steamy and sexy scenes?! We’re talking heart beating out of my chest, palms getting sweaty, feeling a little hot reaction here (and nothing physical has even happened). I was so wrapped up in the romance and action of the book that I seriously felt I was the one being asked out on a first date. All of those heart-fluttering emotions a girl feels at this moment, the excitement, the anticipation, the uncertainty, came rushing back. I may have even swooned a time or two!

Not only does Goodnight write hot characters and fully engage my passion, but she is overall a talented writer. The literary elements were well-delivered, yet not overdone. Her alliterative words add to the humor, and she takes an analogy or two and carries them through the entire plot, further solidifying those connections. I enjoyed seeing the connection between the analogies and events in the book as it helped me to further understand what the characters were experiencing.

Austentatious was the first book by Alyssa Goodnight that I read, and it will certainly not be my last! I look forward to reading her other novel, Unladylike Pursuits.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austentatious.

02/21/2012 page 40