Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > The Might Have Been

The Might Have Been by Joseph M. Schuster

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: arc, subject-sports-baseball, location-usa-midwest, era-late-20th-century
Recommended for: everyone
Read from March 12 to 17, 2012

If this isn't my favorite book of the year, what surpasses it must be a doozy. I originally chose it because of the baseball background, but it is so rich in so many ways, so surprising and yet familiar, I found myself taking my time with it. This definitely is a book to savor.

We meet Edward Everett Yates in 1977, as he is called up to go to the Show, on the brink of realizing his dream. The liner notes and title already inform the reader of what is to come, that that dream will die before it is realized. What follows is Edward Everett's life, told through a number of set pieces that are at once illuminating and in parts, hilarious, Shuster's talent of description and ear for dialogue render these scenes with cinematic detail, but the writing is so polished and assured, it is amazing to realize this is a debut novel. This is the kind of book that got me to love reading in the first place, more internal that plot driven, but with characterizations so accurate, they are three dimensional. Need I say, highly recommended?

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Might Have Been.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jill Thanks for letting me know. I read PERLA for Vine this month and it was beyond fantastic!

Kasa Cotugno I've removed our other comments based on the message the other day. I don't know if this exchange counts as going against principle, but just to be on the safe side...

Will look for Perla. We seem to have similar tastes

Jill Good idea. The message from the other day was based on one reviewer who seemed compelled to offer loads of details on what she was reading and how she commented on the Vine forum. Probably wouldn't apply to us, but might as well be on the safe side. Perla's great!

Kasa Cotugno I preordered it for my kindle.