Penelope's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Feb 27, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-books, heroes-i-admire, heroines-i-admire
Read from February 20 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** *Spoilers ahead*
This is definitely my favorite book of the series, so far. I can't believe ALL the stuff that is in it that wasn't in the movie! I love the history this story provides. It definitely made for a much richer reading experience; now I not only know about Harry, but I know a little about his family, and how they influenced his future, even before they passed away.

I really like that we took a break from the Voldemort plotline, and got a better look at Harry's parent's past. It added to his character arc in such a unique way, because this is the first book that I have felt like Harry was able to be well and truly happy. Knowing even just these small parts of his past (and things like why his father was nicknamed prongs--so cool) seemed to add pieces to his own identity, enough to change his entire demeanor. And I was so happy for him, finally having Sirius and Lupin to look to as proper family--people who he knows really care about him. I love that part on the last page where Harry tells the Dursleys about Sirius, saying, "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of Wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though . . . keep up with my news . . .check if I'm happy . . ."

A few other things I liked are the Marauder's Map--which is the coolest thing ever invented--Dumbledore, who is just awesome--especially since he always knows everything, and how hilariously funny it was to imagine Lee Jordan (is the person? I don't have the book right now) announcing the quidditch matches. I also think the twist with the time-turner seemed much more thrilling in the book, than in the movie. I never doubted everything would be pulled off when I watched the movie, but there seemed to be a more immediate need for the time-turner in the book, and that translated into more suspenseful reading.

I gave this 4.5 stars when I first finished, because I was sure I couldn't have loved the book enough to be giving it 5 stars. But after trying to come up with something negative to say about it, all I could come up with was one thing. So I'm giving it the 5 stars it deserves. :) And about that one thing: Maybe I just missed this while reading, but my question is: if the Marauder's Map "never lies," why didn't Professor Snape see Harry and Hermione sitting at the edge of the woods after they used the time-turner, at the time when he saw Professor Lupin disappear into the tunnel? He should have seen them.

Although out of the entire book, I'll take that one inconsistency and move on. I was much too enthralled to be held up by one small thing.

This review was originally published on my blog: The reading Fever.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Chandler Smith Can't wait to read your review! Prisoner of Azkaban is by far my favorite and adds so much the movies missed.

Penelope I agree! It's my favorite so far. I just love everything it added, all the things that were revealed about Harry's past, etc. It should be up soon. :)

¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤ Up until I read The Half Blood Prince, this was undoubtedly my favorite book, I read it 9 times :) #obsessed lol

Penelope Good to hear! I can't wait to get to Half Blood Prince. It's my sister's favorite book as well, and I've heard good things about it. :)