Bobby Simic's Reviews > The Midwife's Apprentice

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

Jul 24, 08

bookshelves: kidsstuff, historical

Summary:
Orphaned since as long as she can remember, Beetle becomes employed by the cold village midwife. And while her payment is meager, Beetle eventually gains confidence in herself and her abilities through her work.
Strengths:
While it uses the language of the time, the book is surprisingly accessible -- no doubt helped by its short length (my edition was barely over 100 pages). Despite being from a different era, Beetle's plight still can be relatable; she's someone who has believed all the nasty and mean things people have said and done to her. And the fact that she eventually overcomes this treatment and finds herself makes her a good heroine and role model for readers.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midwife's Apprentice.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I loved this book. Beetle's character is very endearing, and I agree that even though the language is not contemporary, it still holds a lot of appeal. I really enjoyed the information about midwifery as well.

Bobby Simic Heather! It's you! I'd agree about the info about midwifery too. It's always good when a historical book has an author's note like that to put everything in context. I think I've learned more through author's notes than I have through any of my past social studies courses! ;)

Did you read Catherine Called Birdy by the same author? I really liked that one too. It's kinda like a Medieval Bridget Jones.