Bobbie's Reviews > The Absolute Value of Mike

The Absolute Value of Mike by Kathryn Erskine

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: eng-356-to-be-graded
Read in February, 2012

This book took me awhile to get into it; I felt like Erskine might have struggled with the start as well, but once the story got going, it took me away. The biggest challenge was understanding some of the more bizarre characters. Their conversations were just difficult to follow. As I came to understand them, though, they became more interesting, and I was able to appreciate them more fully.

I really enjoyed the story; it was definitely in the feel-good category. I loved the premise and enjoyed seeing Mike deal with his struggles. I did feel at times that the dyscalculia was not woven seamlessly into the story. Still, the organization of the book (each chapter has a heading with a math term and definition that relates to the chapter - not in a mathematical way of course) was incredibly interesting, and I liked the title of the book and the lessons Mike learned. I just wish that the dyscalculia had been a larger part of his struggles somehow.

Violence: None, though there is some yelling.

Language: I do not remember any language.

Sex: There are a couple of times that he is checking women out and describing them, but they are pretty tame.

Drugs/Alcohol: Nope.

There is one warning that does not fit in anywhere. At one point, the main character drives without a license. It did not bother me at all, but some people need every warning spelled out - so there it is.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolute Value of Mike.