Amanda's Reviews > The Obsidian Blade

2682082
Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: cover-love
Read from March 02 to 07, 2012

Wow. What a crazy, mind bending ride that was. After about midway through, my head never stopped spinning, and I'm still trying to put all the pieces together.

The thing I love about time travel books is how complex and intertwined the plots and scenes can get. Something that happens in the beginning of the book may not make sense until you see the scene again from a different time. The Obsidian Blade took time traveling to a little different place though. The time travel in this book is through diskos, like wormholes through time, and the diskos lead to significant moments in time. 9/11, for example. I really loved that unique spin on time travel.

The characters are fine, nothing much stood out about them to me though. The protagonist, Tucker seems a little immature for his age at times, even though his age actually changes a bit through the book. In fact, this book felt more like a middle grade novel than young adult novel most of the time. That doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the story though, and Lahlia, Kosh, and Bounce are some other characters that I really liked. I would have loved to see some more of Lahlia, and hopefully she'll be in the sequel more.

The story starts off just a tad bit slow paced, but I actually really liked that slow build towards the action. I was dying to know what the heck was going on, and there's this almost creepy atmosphere in the beginning. Everyone just keeps on acting like everything's normal, even while everything's coming apart. About midway through the book though, the action definitely picks up and doesn't stop from then on.

There's quite a lot of talk about God in several conversations and thoughts of Tucker's and we even get to witness a Biblical event, which was so interesting to me. I'm not quite sure how I felt about it all though. If you're a Christian, you may be a bit uncomfortable with some passages, although it's all very well done, and not offensive or anything.

I only have a few complaints about the story, the first being that I was very easily confused. I never really got the whole Klaatu ghost thing, which is a pretty substantial part of the story. I still don't why exactly the Klaatu are important. I don't know if this is because I wasn't paying close enough attention, or if it's just supposed to be vague at this point in the story. I would have liked a little more explanation on a few of those parts though. My other complaint is the ending. Cliffhanger, much? It felt very abrupt, like it was the end of the first part of a book, and then the second half got sucked away in a disk.

The Obsidian Blade is a unique, mind boggling sci-fi book that adds a unique element to the usualy time-traveling story. If you like sci-fi, fast-paced adventure, or time-traveling kitties, you should definitely pick this one up. I'm excited to continue with the series, and I really think it'll only get better from here.

3.5/5

*Received from Netgalley
**Also posted on my blog, Girl with the Books
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obsidian Blade.

03/02/2012 page 59
03/02/2012 page 90
28.0% "Good so far, and I'm dying to know WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!?"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan (last edited Mar 15, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Stefan Yates Nice review. Since you mentioned your fondness for time travel books, you might want to give The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch a try. It has a very different twist in how the time travel function works in it and is a very fun and quick read.

Amanda Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give it a try! :)