Andrea's Reviews > The Biology of Animal Stress: Basic Principles and Implications for Animal Welfare

The Biology of Animal Stress by G. Moberg

1051922
Jul 24, 08

liked it
Read in January, 2008

I'd give this a five if I was a little smarter and knew just a tad more about biochemistry. Some of it was over my head, but I was still able to grasp the point of things.

Point taken: Biology is a damn hard way to measure stress. Chronic or acute? Healthy or unhealthy? These issues are widely accepted to be a problem for assessing 'bad' versus 'good' levels of stress, not to mention the issues with collecting samples. E.g., release of acute stress indicators into bloodstream when blood is being collected, or an animal stressed about some random social interaction right before urine is collected, or fecal samples which may indicate stress levels over the long haul that mean, oh, stressful day on Monday OR might mean highly stressed in general, hard to say.

These sorts of complications are apparently rampant - great news if you want to find a way to measure chronic, long term stress levels in an animal.

On the bright side, a recent conference report indicated that hair samples may be better long term indicators of chronic stress. Pretty exciting stuff, I got a geeky rush of excitement over it that was ALMOST sexual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Biology of Animal Stress.