Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books

Lit! by Tony Reinke

Feb 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: leisure, net-galley, nook, non-fic, religious, literature
Read in February, 2012

As a Christian and a voracious reader, this book seemed like a perfect fit for me. However, once I started it, I realized I wasn't really the intended audience. Reinke speaks mostly to people who don't already read a lot. On the practical side, he gives advice on finding or making time to read. Speaking specifically to Christians, he explains that even secular books may contain God's truth and that we shouldn't shut those books out of our life. Another important point he makes is that books that purport to be from a believing perspective can be even more dangerous than books that acknowledge no religion, since heresy must start from within. Overall, he advocates a close and careful reading of every book, taking time to analyze the truths and falsehoods contained within.

One thing that annoyed me a bit about the author's tone was how old-fashioned he seemed in some ways. He talked about reading as a more lofty pursuit than TV, video games, and movies without acknowledging that many of those media have just as much depth of storytelling as books. It made me think perhaps he hadn't really watched TV in recent years.

The section that I found most helpful was about marginalia. Reinke marks up his books with pen, underlining and making notes on the sides. He also keeps a database of important or interesting quotes from the books he reads, which I think is a great idea.

Bottom line: If you already read a lot, this might not be the book for you. However even if you do read a lot, he gives some justification as to why Christians can and should read secular literature as well as Christian literature and, of course, the Bible.

I received my copy free from NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lit!.