InfinitexLibrary's Reviews > I Am Become Death

I Am Become Death by Rocco Ryg

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 23 to 29, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It was nice to see a book about young teens that for once wasn't set in America and that's one of the things which really works to the strength of this book. I really liked the two main female characters Chikara and Renka, nice balancers for one another. Chikari in particular was a very strong lead and for once was not swayed at all by any thoughts of romance. It was actually refreshing where romance was a subplot with the friend of the main character instead of a main plot point. This also helped to develop Chikara's personality until she eventually transforms into her terrifying vigilante self by the end of the book, something which was both shocking and awe inspiring. It's a brave decision to dehumanise your main character so far but bravely done and will no doubt work very well in sequels to this book. I enjoyed the writing style of this book too, although sometimes the changes in perspective were a bit confusing. Although it was nice to see into other character's minds, sometimes I felt this was necessary and only clogged things up a bit. Again, the use of Japanese culture was a nice change but as someone who is already familiar with most of this, the constant reminding of what certain words are customs meant annoyed me a little. A handy glossary at the back or front perhaps instead would meant the flow of the story was not interrupted by history lessons. I did laugh out loud for almost a full minute though at the use of the club called Club Yandere - highly ironic given poor Kaijin's obsession.
Other small flaws were how other characters outside the main four were not really developed too well, so I would often confuse them with others. The tech guy was an exception but even he had hardly any actual space in the story which meant his keen interest in providing weapons for Chikara at the end a little odd. Their parent's accepting everything so easily too felt a bit forced and unrealistic but I suppose this was just a way to speed it to the conclusion though the last chapter did feel very rushed. After Gen's injury, he was also just sort of shifted totally to the sidelines for the rest of the story. The villains however are good and I found myself feeling sorry for Kaijin as he gradually grew more insane.
Overall, I liked this book and thought the three main characters were quite strong even if I wasn't too keen on Gen. Michiko too was believable and despite first being presented as a malicious character gradually grew more sympathetic through the book until I ended up really liking her. I look forward to reading the sequel in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Become Death.

02/23/2012
02/24/2012
10.0% "good so far though the perspective changes are confusing"
02/25/2012
20.0% "okay gen is annoying me. the two girls are awesome tho. chikara reminds me so much of sailor mars"
02/27/2012
70.0% "still liking it. hopefully finish it in next few days"
show 3 hidden updates…