Wendy's Reviews > Don't Stop Now

Don't Stop Now by Julie Halpern

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, ya-liked, ya-take-it-or-leave-it
Read from February 21 to 25, 2012

I think this author was involved in some 'reviewer bashing' that I only became aware of right before I read this book. I may write a post about my thoughts at a later date... essentially, I can see valid points from both sides of the coin: reviewers must be honest about their thoughts on a book (hello first amendment) and authors have the right to feel anger towards poor reviews. The sticky point is when those to roads intersect. I'll discuss later.

** slight spoilers ahead, ye be warned. **

Despite all that, I thought I'd give this book a go, since it did sound like something I'd like. And I was right. I did like it.

I liked Lil and Josh. I'm not so sure if they could realistically have this quasi-boyfriend/girlfriend relationship without it getting serious sooner. I actually had many close male friends throughout high school that never turned romantic.

I would have NEVER driven 5 states away to rescue a girl I had so much contempt for. Lil, while seeming noble in her 'quest', is only really trying to get into Josh's pants.

Penny, who obviously has some major abuse issues going on, needs a compassionate friend who can support her and help her make some difficult decisions. That friend is not Lil.

I loved that the road trip took place in actual places. I've been to Wall Drug many times. I live near Portland, Oregon. I've lived in Walla Walla, been in Pendleton, driven through Wyoming, Mt. Rushmore etc. I can tell the author did too, and has the pictures on her blog to verify. There is a quiet peace about driving through the prairie lands of South Dakota that you'd miss if you only thought about how boring and desolate it feels.

Unfortunately, I hated the whole, 'We happened to see a skater and he happened to know the Exact Ethan we were looking for'. No, that really never would happen. Unrealistic.

If you're writing realistic contemporary fiction, a crazy coincidence like that is like stomping on the brakes driving 80 on the interstate.

Overall, I liked it, despite the many turd jokes.

Will read more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Stop Now.

02/21/2012 page 15
7.0% 1 comment
02/25/2012 page 70
31.0% "uhm... I like it so far"
show 1 hidden update…