Carolyn's Reviews > The Winter Sea

F 50x66
Feb 21, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

This is an interesting exploration of "genetic memory". A novelist moves to the coast of Scotland and finds herself channeling the memories of her long ago ancestor who lived through the 1708 Jacobite uprising. The book is kind of a double novel, a book within a book, which must be a technical challenge for a writer. Although this is an interesting book, with tons of historical material, I found the main characters to be kind of flat. Some of the side characters, who were real people, were much more real and intriguing. Without giving away the plot, I did not understand why the historical main character made the decisions she did regarding her child and did not change them once her situation changed. That part did not ring true to me, and neither did the relationship between the novelist and her boyfriend in the modern times. But romance really isn't my genre of choice, so maybe I am judging the book unrealistically. I would recommend this book for those who like lots of historical detail - I enjoyed it and would definitely read this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sea.