ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱'s Reviews > The Secret Hour

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: strong-female-lead, scott-westerfeld
Recommended for: Westerfeld fans
Read from February 21 to March 05, 2012

Here's the review I wrote for my school newspaper!

When Jessica Day moves from Chicago to the small town of Bixby, Oklahoma, she’s expecting a change. But she never could’ve imagine a world like the one she finds herself in. because, in Bixby, there are 25 hours in the day. But normal humans don’t know of the secret hour- they simply freeze for one hour at midnight. Every night. They cannot tell that an hour has passed for the special few who can live in the extra hour. There people were born exactly at midnight, allowing them inside this extra hour- one that was originally created to hold the monsters of olden times. Jessica soon realizes she is one of the few who can live in the secret hour, and soon finds a unique cast of other teens like her. They all seem to have a special power, like flight, or mindreading. But as great as it is to have an extra hour in the day, the monsters that inhabit the secret hour have it out for Jessica. Why? What’s Jessica’s power? Why was the secret hour created in the first place? Follow this intriguing tale to find out.
As unbelievable as this storyline seems, I was so captured by the realistic storytelling that I wanted to find where Bixby Oklahoma was and go there. (and it does exist!) Part of what made it so believable was the characters. They were real people, with good and bad sides, and you really want to help them with their mission. This novel has some of the best writing I’ve seen, the perfect amount of descriptive language to give you a clear picture, but not so much that you get bored. The characters’ powers were so well described; I thought I was in their head. The story took my breath away, but it didn’t knock me down, so it will receive a four-star rating. It also felt a little dated as computers were not commonplace, and cell phones nonexistent. I highly recommend this book to any fans of the paranormal.
Here's my review: Wow. Scott Westerfel: YOU DA MAN!! I don't know why I gave it four stars. But I did. Sorry. Why is Mr. Westerfeld the only decent writer these days? The writing was MORE than fantastic. The characters were so believeable! The world building was so perfect! Everything was brilliant I got the next one already!! This isn't my type of book. But it doesn't mean that I didn't REALLY LIKE IT. Because thats what four stars means. I really liked it.

The characters..........dont even get me started.

Bixby oklahoma watch out, here I come!

EDIT: I read my global textbook just to look for 13 letter words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Etc, etc, etc I found like 50!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Hour.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Good book :)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Thx I'll be sure to read it quickly

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started it today, is it good??

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ It's getting better. I'm not that far into it, it's been taking me a while to get around to reading it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

What's it about?!?!

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ This girl Jessica Day, moves from Chicago to small town, bixby, Oklahoma. There she finds out that she is special. In bixby, there are 25 hours in the day, but normal humans only live in 24 of them. Only people born exactly at midnight can experience the "secret hour" Jess finds other kids who can also go out in the extra hour, and there are monsters in that hour. The monsters usually leave people alone, but they are coming after Jessica.

I know that didn't make much sense. Try reading the book blurb on the webpage

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow that sounds really different but cool! I used to live in Oklahoma! I LOVED it!! Great place to plot a story!

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Awesome! It was really good. As you can tell by my glowing review

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hah, yeah lol. I read it, I think you liked the book?! ;:)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

(sarcastic>) Nooooooooo!

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Wow I thought I was being REALLY subtle. Nice job picking that one out.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

:), lol Idk what subtle means (< blondy!)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Hard to explain: dictionary says: requiring mental acuteness, penetration, or discernment: a subtle philosophy.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hah okay... thx for um helping? ((more like trying, I'm not a good learner ;:) ))

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Subtle is the opposite of obvious.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Couldn't of said it better myself