Em's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

3220488
Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, american, contemporary
Read from March 27 to April 05, 2012

Based in New York, post 9/11 - the novel is mainly narrated by an unusual 9 year old boy called Oskar whose father died in the collapse of the twin towers. The book is very affecting and touches upon themes such as grief, loneliness and human connection, family, love and the trauma of war and violence.

In truth Oskar is unlike any 9 year old I know, he is far more independent for one thing and while I know that children frequently offer a greater insight that adults, his level of intellect seemed beyond realism to me. It's a minor point however, I don't necessarily require realism in my reading life - and it didn't matter. Oskar is sypathetic, intelligent and intuitive I couldn't help but love him.

The sub plot is equally compelling, narrated by his grandparents who reflect on their history, the impact of war upon their young lives in Dresden and their subsequent lives together and apart. I found their story utterly heartbreaking but hopeful too.

Jonathan Safran Foer continues to be experimental in his use of language and the structure of his work, I found this added to the impact of the novel but most importantly this was a beautiful story, alive with wonderful, memorable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

03/31/2012 page 250