Honey's Reviews > Breakfast of Champions

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Aug 06, 08

liked it
Read in August, 2008

I am about to finish Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. I checked out the book from the Multnomah County Library four weeks ago. I've never read anything by Kurt Vonnegut before. The book looks like this:

[image error]

I'm enjoying the book because it feels easy to read. I'm not enjoying the book because parts of it induce discomfort. There are many things in the universe that make me feel the opposite of discomfort. One of those things is a lava lamp.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

A lava lamp emits light but also contains a bulbous wax that forms, rises, and falls with the help of heat provided by an incandescent bulb inside the base. The lava lamp reminds people of the 60's, when life revolved around love. My lava lamp looks like this:

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Listen: On the base of the lava lamp is a sticker. The sticker is a picture of me and Agent in jail. In the picture, both of us stare out forever from behind bars. Agent and I are not actually in jail, but if we were, we'd probably be happy anyway.

128 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast of Champions.

01/29 marked as: read

Philip Weld hahaha, what a fantastic review. right on point.

Samantha This was awesome. Vonnegut would be proud.

Blue LOL!!! That was a great review. Too bad Vonnegut is not around to read it -- he would appreciate it!!

Luke Loertscher This made my day. Too bad the images are gone now :(

Gerald Miller It's amazing to me how when a person reads Vonnegut they start writing things like "The book looks like this".
Thanks

Judyta Szaciłło What a suitable review, I loved it :-)

Kyle Mullan Listen: perfect.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick Even without the images, the review is soooo cool.

Ruth Fogarty this was a great review. and so on.

Donovan Well, discomfort "is" in the nature of satire. But Vonnegut has clearly had a good influence upon you.

Supraja haha, right on :)

message 12: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg So it goes.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil P Spot on review. Thanks!

Jaime Courtney And so on.

message 15: by Cory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cory Don't make fun of Vonnegut

message 16: by Jaksen (last edited May 13, 2015 06:21AM) (new)

Jaksen Haha, I own two lava lamps and am way older than you might imagine. I just love the damn things. Vonnegut? I am not as enthusiastic about. Had to read him in college, but I might give him another go. Maybe in my old age, he'll read better.

Trung Le Hahaha :-)

Joseph Benedetto Some of the thoughts that Vonnegut expresses are similar to those I had in the 70's when I was under the "influence". Nice to revisit those thoughts without the buzz.