Whitney's Reviews > Eona: The Last Dragoneye

Eona by Alison Goodman

Feb 21, 12

Read in February, 2012

I liked the first book in this series, Eon, and the series ended okay, but MAN OH MAN did I want to throw this book across the room so many times! It was SO FRUSTRATING.

The bad guy from the last book who mercilessly killed and tortured her friends and tried to rape her is all of a sudden a love interest. All of a sudden he is just so HANDSOME that she can't resist him. And even though Eona has been a capable, strong character she is ready to let herself be manipulated because he's just so good looking. I would have been less frustrated if she had been tempted with the power he offered. That would have made sense, but I loathed the whole love interest idea.

Other things that bugged me:

She's a pathological liar the entire time. Even when it makes sense to tell the truth she doesn't do it.

The prince should be a little more politically capable. You would think he would be a little less trusting and a little more skilled in intrigue since that is what he was supposedly raised to do.

The first book was all about how everyone always had to respect people with a higher position. They couldn't even leave the room if the emperor was in it. But even though Eona is a Lady Dragoneye and the Niaso (the emperor's most trusted advisor) all of these people are always giving her crap. It was obnoxious. I didn't love Eona's character in this book - but the people who were supposedly her friends were jerks. And even if they weren't her friends anymore they should have at least pretended to defer to her - that's how the characters would have logically acted in the world that was presented.

So, in summary, I liked the first book and I was satisfied with how the series ended, but the level of frustration with the characters in this book almost made me kick my cat. And she shouldn't have to suffer for the misdeeds of others. Right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.