Norm Davis's Reviews > The Stars, Like Dust

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, adventure-suspense, mystery
Recommended for: Golden Age Science Fiction fans
Read from February 21 to 22, 2012 , read count: 2

The Stars Like Dust... No more than 3 stars. I've been saying forever that Asimov can't write a bad story but in this one he starts pretty miserably and almost amateurish. Well past a quarter into the story I feel like I'm watching a thinly plotted over melodramatic B movie with bad actors. Two thirds into the novel there are some interesting twists in the plot, enough to develop a desire to read onward. I know that usually this must be accomplished long before it happens in this story, desirably in the first 10 or 20 pages. Still the characters don't get much more interesting. In the last third of the novel, despite it's many glaring shortcomings the plot twists and turns add enough tension and suspense to hold a reader's attention. In the final pages of the book Asimov puts a few delightful surprises that ultimately make the story a success. By success in this case I mean that despite all that I've reported negatively I'm still rather satisfied with the story as a whole and don't regret re-reading it from my youth. This is an adventure story with elements of a space opera and twinges of a mystery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stars, Like Dust.

02/22/2012 page 134