Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Jan 21, 13

bookshelves: favorites, sci-fi, young-adult, read-in-2013, read-in-2012, arc-from-publisher, retelling, reviewed
Read from July 11, 2012 to January 21, 2013

So fabulous. So fast-paced. So perfect.

(I want this to count for my Goodreads challenge, so I'm changing the date on this, but for my own recollections, date originally read: July 11, 2012 ;) )

Posted to Almost Grown-up:

Scarlet. Where do I begin, you guys? I’m just coming down from a reread of Scarlet, so how about with the tried and true FANGIRL FLAIL? It is so rare that within a week I have two reviews going up of books that I love this much, and I’m LOVING it.

I suppose the fair thing to do would be to start my review of Scarlet by talking about one of the main characters, and the book’s namesake, Scarlet Benoit. I’m loving how Marissa Meyer managed to make a second kick-ass female MC in this sequel to Cinder, and has a second mystery for us to unravel– the mystery of her grandmother’s disappearance and past. Scarlet and Cinder are both the main POVs in Scarlet and both have distinctively strong personalities. I would want to be BFFs with either one (or both), easy and it was amazing to see their stories come together.

Having talked about the kick-butt girls, I would now like to talk about the boys. GUYS. This is another “Where do I begin?” scenario because there is a cornucopia of swoony boys present in the pages of Scarlet. There’s this guy named Kai (IDK, you may remember him from the first book?), but IN ADDITION, let us add: Captain Carswell Thorne who is so quirkily funny and cocky and perfect.

But Thorne’s day in the sun has yet to come, so really the person we need to talk about here is WOLF. And may I just say? Rawr. (Ah-ooo?) He’s so quiet and mysterious, and it’s a really interesting contrast with the ferocity that he unleashes from time to time. Plus, despite the fact that the events in Scarlet take place in a very short amount of time and the book is extraordinarily fast-paced (Seriously, NEVER A DULL MOMENT), the relationship between Wolf and Scarlet manages to feel fully-developed, without the insta-love element that often drives me mad.

Other things that cannot go without a mention: Marissa’s amazing world-building, for one. I talked about this in my review of Cinder, but now that the world (so to speak– this is a sci-fi novel after all, and there is more than just one world to contend with) is expanding we learn more, and it’s never presented in an info-dumpy way. It grows more and more fascinating.

I also want to nod to the way that Marissa caught her readers up with what happened in Cinder. This was something I noticed on my reread, but it’s so perfectly mixed into the book’s opening. Again, none of the boring info-dump that is a commonality in many series from book to book. The “catch-up” is part of the action.

But one of my favorite things about Scarlet is the humor. I legitimately laughed out loud multiple times. And the dialogue! It’s so snappy and on-the-money. So perfect.

To sum up: Whether you read it once, twice, three times, or ten times, I think you’ll find something new to love about Scarlet on every read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

01/18/2013 page 75
16.0% "So tired, or I'd still be reading. Just as good the second time around."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aimee SO JEALOUS.

Sarah Oh. My. Word. So crazy jealous of you right now!

message 3: by MissGratton (new) - added it

MissGratton So jealous! How did you get this!?!

Jennifer Ellision MissGratton wrote: "So jealous! How did you get this!?!"

A friend of mine attended ALA and was nice enough to let me borrow it briefly!

Charlie Chouinard I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.