katarzyna's Reviews > Bounce

Bounce by Natasha Friend

Mar 23, 14

Read in July, 2008

This book was okay, but nothing special. The biggest problem with it was that many aspects seemed like plot contrivances and/or over the top.

The family that main character Evyn's father marries was very sitcom-y and stereotypical. They had that silly, very Baby-Sitter's Club thing going where there's a ton of kids who are basically the same ages in one family for the sake of plot contrivances.

There were other absurd things, too (like that Eleni couldn't be more of a Greek stereotype if you dipped her in tzatziki, the idea that a school would even bother to offer Latin class if only one kid signed up for it, and Evyn's brother being inexplicably practically mute and emotionless). I also hated how the dog was only there as a plot device, as he completely disappears until it's convenient. I don't know any real life pet owners who are that detached, so I think if you can't actually write it realistically, why bother sticking the dog in at all?

Complaints aside, I think middle school readers would enjoy this one for this most part, though to me, Friend's Lush and Perfect were much more engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bounce.