Mojca's Reviews > Seize the Night

Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jul 24, 08

bookshelves: paranormal-romance-fantasy, kenyon-macgregor, series-dark-hunters, vampires
Read in January, 2005

Valerius Magnus isn’t what you’d call a fluffy bunny. His life as a general had honed his fighting skills that he still uses today as a Dark-Hunter. His main predicament, beside the Daimons and all other nasty things that go bump in the night, is the fact he’s a Roman among the majority of Greeks in the ranks of the immortal guardians of the night. That means some serious grudge issues against him.
But that doesn’t bother him, not really. Aristocrats like him don’t bother with what plebs might think of them.

Tabitha Devereaux, Kyrian of Thrace’s sister-in-law, soon discovers Val’s arrogance and air of superiority is just a cover, a mask he wears in front of the world so no one could see the anguish he carries within. So, in true Tabby style, she adamantly refuses to take him seriously, and despite her reservation, coupled with the fact her twin sister is married to the man Val’s grandpa had had crucified all those centuries ago, she ends up falling for the tall, brooding Roman.

One of the deadliest Daimons ever, responsible for scarring Tabitha’s face, comes back from the dead, determined to end with everyone he hates – which means pretty much everyone, and both Val and Tabitha will be forced to make some drastic decisions to even hope of vanquishing Desiderius.

There is a drop-on-your-butt twist in the end as we witness the birth of a new Dark-Hunter, one that will presumably wreak havoc in the books to come.

When I read this book I was hoping with all my heart it would bring the bite from the series beginning back, and for the first few chapter is did look promising.

But soon the plot started stumbling along, the frivolity was gone, the romance seemed stale, and the action scenes seemed like reading a first (bad) draft of a B-movie script.

Though I loved Val, I just cannot resist those tall, brooding, aching-inside heroes, Tabitha seemed a little over the top. Her sassiness quickly got on my nerves and it made me wonder how Val could stand her. But you know what they say, love can do miracles.

***mild spoiler***
What was that Acheron thing, anyway? Hello? Twilight Zone to the max!
And passing around immortality like candy. Just plain tacky!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seize the Night.