Donna's Reviews > Seeker

Seeker by Jack McDevitt

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: audio-books, read-in-2012, science-fiction
Read from February 21 to 24, 2012

The premise of this book was interesting--the search for a 9,000 year old space ship and a lost civilization. Unfortunately I never totally connected to the characters. This is the third book in the Alex Benedict series and I haven't read the first two but the book was told in first person by Alex's assistant, Chase Colpath. Alex seemed almost a minor character, except when he comes in and takes all the credit for Chase's hard work.

I think my problem with the characters is that they are in fact "tomb robbers", a fact that is discussed in the book. The characters are certainly not anti-heroes and if you are going to have a thief-as-hero there needs to be some redeeming quality to their thieving. Alex and Chase really are all about the money, with no regard for maintaining the historical integrity of any of the sites they find.

I also didn't get a feel that this was 9,000 years in the future; things seemed way too familiar. The book started out pretty strong for me but the second half lost steam. I don't have any interest in reading any more from the series. I would rate this a 2.5 but I'm rounding up to 3.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Interesting. I've looked at this series a few times, and they get nebula nominations a lot. This one even won.

Donna I totally expected to like it. I don't consider myself that picky of a reader but this one missed the mark for me. Maybe starting with the first book would make a difference.