Stubble's Reviews > Blood and Thunder: An Epic of the American West

Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides

U 50x66
Feb 21, 12

Read in March, 2011

When I was younger, Kit Carson was a TV series. Just like all the westerns back then - the hero was a good guy fighting all the bad guys. This book was great because it presents an unfiltered history of a segment of the Manifest Destiny that we were all taught about. There are good guys and bad guys in the Indians, Spanish and Whites.
Carson is a type of character that we don't see much of these days. He looks at his situation, decides the best course of action and then does it. Most of the time, it works out for him because he has a lot of common sense and is fearless.
His sense of structure leads him to follow orders from the military that he sometimes doesn't agree with. The Indians bear the brunt of these orders. Unfortunately for them, he was always intent on achieving the goal that was set out for him. This is where his actions don't elicit much admiration.
It is not a glowing chapter in our history. I feel it was presented accurately and should be read by anyone who wants to have a better understanding of the move west.
I came away with a real respect for Carson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Thunder.