Philip's Reviews > God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America

God's Harvard by Hanna Rosin

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: politics, history, education, 2012-highlights
Recommended for: Patrick Henry College Alumni looking for an outsider's view of their alma mater.
Read from January 01 to February 04, 2012, read count: 1

Overall impressions: While obviously from a non-Christian worldview, Rosin remains quite charitable in my opinion (except perhaps to Farris). The places she is very critical and less charitable are where she perceives incongruity or inherent inconsistency in what people say as Christians and what they do, particularly where she sees hypocrisy. Largely, however, I agree with those criticisms. It's sad that it takes an "outsider" to critique the inconsistencies of the "Christian right" when as conservatives we should be self-examining our own worldviews and how we act regularly. She also provides quite a bit of history of the Christian political conservative movement of recent years, from a "liberal's" perspective, including the widespread misunderstanding among many evangelicals who believe the US was founded as a "Christian Nation," as opposed to SOME of the founders simply having Judeo-Christian worldviews. One more thing--If she visited today I think she'd find PHC a very different place from some of those early days. Sure, plenty of similarities remain, but they have been moderated by personnel and policy changes in the administration, faculty, and students.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Harvard.