Tiffeny's Reviews > My Sergei: A Love Story

F 50x66
Apr 11, 12

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I didn't know much about this story before reading it. Someone mentioned it in passing on Facebook and I thought it sounded like something I'd enjoy.

I did enjoy the book for the most part. The love story was beautiful. I found the overall story quite interesting. The way Russia grooms these children to be athletic stars. I thought many times that they should train them for life off of the ice as well as life on the ice. Many of Sergei and Katerina's choices were questionable. They were lucky that they were never seriously taken advantage of because they had little sense or education regarding money and life's choices. Luckily things seemed to work out for them in most circumstances.

My mind was blown a little that Katerina had her baby girl, then 5 weeks later left her with her mother to go on a skating tour. She expressed sorrow at doing so, but said that she felt like she had to work. It's still hard to imagine making that choice. And it sounded like her mother was the primary care-giver from then on. Though I was pleased to see Katerina step in and mother more at least for at time after Sergei died. Not caring for your own children even part-time seemed to be somewhat of a cultural norm. And truth be told, a good number of parents around the world only care for their own children part-time, so maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised and perhaps a little disappointed in that.

Enjoyed the story. Glad to have read it. Katerina's ability to move passed Sergi's death and make a new, good life for herself and her family really was remarkable and admirable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sergei.