Sara's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Feb 21, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in February, 2012

I looooved this audio book! I have a friend who reads biographies and memoirs like it’s her job. They’re her favorite genre. And when I told her I had downloaded this book she was a little “Meh”. She hadn’t loved the physical book. Granted she’s a fan of Chelsea Handler and other funny women. So her standard is a bit high.

I’ll agree with my friend in that while I was listening I thought to myself “This wouldn’t be nearly as funny simply reading. I totally would not have read it like that” Fey reads her audio book herself. Which enhances the experience like none other. Fey adds asides to her rendition that could not have made it into the print copy.

Case in point:

The Sarah Palin/Hilary Clinton SNL Episode

Fey had the entire audio of the skit in her audiobook. Almost cried from laughter during my run.

As a side note: Do be aware that if you listen to funny things while running/working out in public you will laugh. And others will stare. You’ll be ok with this situation however, because it’s just so darn funny.

Fey spends quite a bit of time recounting her time as Sarah Palin on SNL as well as the work she’s done building 30 Rock. And while I’m not familiar with her 30 Rock show (never could get into it…) this didn’t hinder my experience enjoying her thoughts on the experience.

Some of my favorite bits from the audio were of her comments on the image of female beauty in our society. As well as the bit about posing on magazine covers and the part when she speaks of elitest breastfeeding mothers. Tears, I promise tears from laughter.

I would suggest this audio book to any woman looking for a good laugh. You’ll see bits of yourself in this funny woman who seems to have happened upon such fame through hard work and a bit of luck.

Rating: 5/5 Feminist and funny Fey will point out all the issues of being a woman in our society and poke fun at them in a way that is utterly accessible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.